Saturday, November 12, 2011

Storytelling with a Purpose.

What's a story?
A story may be communicated in many forms. Such as a cautionary tale, joke, experience, fable, eye witness account, parable, history and more. Stories may be shared via text,  drawings, photos etc.
When a story resonates within our hearts or minds it releases a flood of emotions.
Why should we tell stories? By telling and sharing stories it brings family and friends closer together, and strengthens relationships.

You may ask yourself how is digital scrapbooking telling stories or writing a family history?
When I started digital scrapbooking a few years ago I had no idea I was doing a history.

Let me give you a few tips on how to make your digital scrapbooking experience help you tell your story with a purpose.

#1. Less is more.
Decide in the beginning what you want the focal point of your page to be. Be careful with using lots of graphics. It can be a bit distracting and pull the focus away from the very thing you want to be the main eye catcher.

#2. Use text.
Telling a story just wouldn't be complete without adding some text. In the beginning of my digital scrapbooking experience, I didn't add much text. Now, looking back I wished I would have. I would like to have known more about the event or pictures on the page.

#3.Include dates and names.
A page will be a lot more memorable if you include dates and names of the people in the photograph.

#4. Have fun and be patient with yourself.
Don't expect a masterpiece on your first try.  Just remember to enjoy your family history making  journey!

The page you see below is a very simple page. I wanted my two year old daughter to be the focus. Then I wanted to tell a little story about her stage in life.




Graphics used from Digital Scrapbook Memories
Used Heritage Collector Storybook to create this page.

Life would be a dull experience without a good story. Now its your turn to start sharing your stories!

Some of the content from this post came from our newsletters. Learn more with our FREE newsletters. Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment